Friday, July 31, 2009

Westcott Explains Vote on Ballpark Assessment

On June 4, 2009, a majority of the City Councilors approved the assessment roll for the downtown baseball stadium. I believed that the assessment was illegal and I still do. The Oklahoma Attorney General’s office agreed with me. It's illegal because it's a flat assessment rate for every piece of property inside the IDL. Oklahoma law requires that the assessment bear a relationship to the benefit that a piece of property will receive.

Mayor Taylor and the Stadium Trust believe that all downtown property will receive a benefit from the ballpark. They're probably right. But, a piece of property that's a mile away from the ballpark will receive less benefit than a piece of property that's across the street. A warehouse will receive less benefit than a bar or a restaurant.

The law says that the assessment must bear a relationship to the benefit that the property receives. The way this assessment is set up, its the same rate for every piece of property, no matter where it is or what the nature of the business is.

I had been saying that I thought that was illegal for a year. The Oklahoma Attorney General's office agreed with me.

I made a speech at the June 4th meeting, explaining why the assessment is illegal and why I had to vote against it, even though I think the ballpark is a good idea. I have always been in favor of the downtown ballpark. But, this assessment is illegal.

Steve Rommerman, who writes a good blog on local politics at http://www.roemermanonrecord.com/, shot some video of the meeting and has posted my speech on YouTube.com.

The speech is about 16 minutes long and is broken into two parts. If you’re interested in watching it, here are the links. Many thanks to Steve for shooting it and making it available.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjpwmmrOOHg

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOKGAWMTvkw&feature=related